The Tata group is one of India’s most potent megacorporations, with yearly profits of over $ 100B. Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Jaguar Land Rover, TCS, Tata Power, Titan, Taj Hotels, and other enterprises make up this massive conglomerate. It has been instrumental in transforming the corporate direction of the country for over a century, giving opportunities to some of the country’s brightest business minds. JRD Tata, the Chairman of the Tata Group from 1938 to 1991, established a specialized leadership training program – the Tata Administrative Services (TAS) – in 1956 to add to this talent pool. TAS is now the country’s largest and most prestigious leadership program, with top pioneers in almost every industry.
TAS’s strength comes from the fact that it offers cross-functional possibilities across industries, organizations, and regions worldwide, global work exposure, and lifetime career mobility. You will be ecstatic to have the chance to work with the TATA group, which places the most outstanding value on the highest mounting. Additionally, you are provided with a large canvas, tools, and the colours required to construct your works of art. TAS’ vision is to develop leaders who, while enhancing and contributing to the Group’s cultural pillars as manifested in ‘good thoughts, good words, and good deeds, will collaborate with the Group’s growth and expansion and add value to nation-building.
Tata employees who meet the following criteria are eligible for the TAS In-House
- Employees of the Tata Group of Companies and Tata Joint Venture who are not on the payroll of JV partners.
- Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree at the very least.
- Candidates should have spent at least two years with the Group. After earning a bachelor’s degree, you can only have 6 years of work experience. And it must include at least 2 years with the Tata Group.
- Any Full-Time, Permanent, Component, Provisional Consultant, Retainership Commitments, or occupations will be regarded for the proportion of work experience outside the two years.
- Work experience will not be considered for short-term project internships.
- Management or fresh Graduate Engineer Trainees and employees from other structured programs who have worked for the Group for at least two years qualify to apply to TAS.
- Employees should have completed a minimum of two assessment cycles.
- Applicants on a career break, study, medical, or unpaid leave are eligible to apply to TAS. They should, however, be permanent employees of the company. If shortlisted, the date for joining TAS is set, and no leave will be granted.
- All in-house Tata Business Leadership Award (TBLA) winners will be eligible to proceed directly to the TAS final interview stage. The first and second-place finishers in the TBLA will advance to the presentation stage of the selection process.
- Candidates who meet the criteria must register on the TAS website, with a maximum of one enrollment per candidate.
- There is no official age limit, but message board chatter suggests it is around 26/27 years old.
- The implementation is often used as a primary screening tool. It entails writing comprehensive essays on candidate background-related topics.
- A large portion of the admission process is devoted to elaborating on the candidate’s goals, and your Statement of Purpose – needs to be very specific and on-point.
After being selected, candidates must undergo a rigorous, extended selection process, detailed in the following section.
TAS campus selection currently takes place in a few b-schools across India, among students in their final year of MBA or MBA equivalent – IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, IIM Kozhikode, IIM Lucknow (Read blogs on IIMs), Faculty of Management Studies (FMS) University of Delhi, SPJIMR, Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS Mumbai), and XLRI.
Work experience isn’t required. A GMAT requirement for in-campus recruits is not mentioned. TAS also offers an 8-week Summer Internship program for first-year students from the institutes. Students keen to learn new leadership methods and related areas can apply for the 2-month internship program by clearing a Group Discussion and an Interview. After their internship, they can apply to the TAS for pre-selection.
This is an elimination process for aspirants on campus. For application-related purposes, describing their motivation for pursuing a leadership position and a well-sought designation within the Tata Group is part of the application prerequisites.
Typically, in the camp, For application-related questions, candidates should contact their corresponding placement consulting department.us holds a shortlisting round in which the finalists compete for a position on the winning team. The winners will then participate in a national inter-campus selection process as the last round.
To be accepted into the TAS leadership program, applicants must undergo four stages of in-person selection, irrespective of the talent pool source. The initial rounds are hosted nationwide at various Tata group hotels and properties.
- A group of ten candidates is given one case at a time during the Leadership Group Discussion, also known as the Chairman’s GD.
- Every contestant is given 10 minutes to argue the evidence to their team and lead a discussion as the “Chairman” of the group. The cases are about making everyday operational decisions regarding enterprises.
- The chosen candidates advance to the next round.
- Chosen aspirants from the initial selecting rounds discuss a case study over 30 minutes, including the QnA round. The case studies have already been provided to the participants.
- Candidates for the TAS Summer Internship may be invited to present their internship project(s).
- The HR-based questions are frequently used to understand the applicants holistically during the psychometric interview round. Candidates are not eliminated in this round. The following are some examples-a) The most significant accomplishment in recent memory.
b) What challenges did you face, and how did you overcome them?
c) What was the most important decision you ever made? Justify your choice.
As an enterprise equivalent to the Indian Administrative Services, the Tata Administrative Services was established. As a result, there is fierce competition, and it is difficult to crack the recruitment process. The situation of the carefully chosen TAS Managers, who are climbing the corporate ladder while their peers are still trying to prove their professional acumen in entry-level jobs, is also inspiring and motivating. Being a part of TAS, with Tata’s massive credentials, and receiving training by the finest of the group leaders to influence where few can, is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
TAS BENEFITS AND SALARY
Regarding professional advantages, the TAS is distinctive – it allows for various premium options for advancement.
- Based on the needs of the Tata group of companies, this premier leadership program trains possible nominees to become future general managers and functional experts. Cross-functional training allows employees to move between different business segments.
- Through three assignments in the TAS curriculum, candidates can gain management-specific expertise across various Tata companies through the training’s GOAL (Group Orientation and Learning) component.
- A fourth assignment focuses on training in Corporate Sustainability in a country area, keeping with Tata’s claim of community commitment.
- Following training, the recruits are assigned to top leadership positions in Tata’s various companies, with the possibility of advancement to other industry sectors on evaluation. As a result, there is the possibility of being located across the country and the potential for abroad interactions and visits.
- These new employees have the opportunity to be trained by current Tata top management. Prospects to be connected with the open doors for career advancement that would otherwise require years associating with senior management.
TAS also provides a financially rewarding starting salary opportunity. TAS ranked highly among recruiters in a 2012 survey conducted by InsideIIM, with salary being one of the determining factors. TAS managers can earn well over INR 16 lakhs per year. This is undoubtedly one of the more competitive pay packages available to top executives in the country.