Introduction – what is life at ISB Hyderabad and ISB Mohali like?
The Indian School of Business (ISB) is one of the leading business schools in Asia, offering world-class management education through its various programmes. The Post Graduate Programme (PGP) at ISB is a one-year full-time residential programme that prepares students for leadership roles in the dynamic and competitive global business environment. The PGP at ISB offers a unique blend of academic rigor, practical relevance, and experiential learning that enables students to develop the skills, knowledge, and mindset required for success in the 21st century.
In this blog post, we will explore the various aspects of life at the ISB PGP, such as the admission process, the academic experience, the campus life and infrastructure, the peer learning and collaboration, the career development and placement support, the leadership and personal development, and the global opportunities. We will also share some personal reflections and key takeaways from our own journey as ISB PGP students. Our aim is to give you a glimpse of what it is like to be a part of this prestigious and transformative programme, and to encourage you to consider the ISB PGP as a potential option for your management education.
Life at ISB Hyderabad – Preparing for the Journey
The journey to the ISB PGP begins with the admission process, which is designed to select the best candidates who have the potential to become future leaders. The admission process consists of three steps: applying online, taking the GMAT or GRE test, and appearing for an interview. The admission process also varies depending on the mode of entry: PGP, EEO, or YLP.
Admission process and selection criteria
The admission process for the PGP mode requires candidates to have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, a valid GMAT or GRE score, and a minimum of 24 months of full-time work experience. Candidates need to submit an online application form with details of their academic and professional achievements, essays, recommendations, and application fee. The application deadlines are divided into three rounds, and candidates can apply in any round without affecting their chances of admission. The selection criteria for the PGP mode are based on the candidate’s academic performance, test scores, work experience, leadership potential, personal attributes, and diversity.
The admission process for the EEO mode is similar to the PGP mode, except that it is meant for candidates who have less than 24 months of full-time work experience. Candidates who are selected through the EEO mode are offered a deferred admission to the PGP programme after they complete at least 24 months of work experience.
The admission process for the YLP mode is meant for final year and pre-final year college students who have no full-time work experience. Candidates need to apply online with their academic transcripts, GMAT or GRE score (optional), one essay, and one evaluation. The application deadline is in March every year. The selection criteria for the YLP mode are based on the candidate’s academic performance, test scores (if applicable), extracurricular activities, leadership potential, personal attributes, and diversity.
Preparing for the academic rigor
The ISB PGP is a one-year intensive programme that covers a wide range of management topics and disciplines. The programme consists of eight terms of six weeks each, with each term having five to six courses. The courses are taught by renowned faculty from ISB and its partner schools, using a variety of teaching methodologies such as lectures, case studies, simulations, projects, and guest speakers. The programme also offers electives that allow students to customize their learning according to their interests and career goals.
To prepare for the academic rigor of the ISB PGP, candidates need to have a strong foundation in quantitative and analytical skills, as well as good communication and presentation skills. Candidates also need to be ready to cope with the fast-paced and demanding schedule of the programme, which requires them to balance multiple assignments, exams, group projects, and extracurricular activities. Candidates can also benefit from taking some online courses or reading some books on management topics before joining the programme.
Moving to the campus and adjusting to the new environment
The ISB PGP is offered at two campuses: Hyderabad and Mohali. Both campuses are equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and resources that provide a conducive learning environment for students. The campuses also offer comfortable accommodation options and campus amenities such as dining halls, cafeterias, convenience stores, health centers, sports facilities, libraries, and IT services.
Moving to the campus and adjusting to the new environment can be both exciting and challenging for students. Students need to plan ahead for their travel arrangements, packing essentials, visa formalities (for international students), and financial matters. Students also need to be open-minded and respectful of the diverse cultures and backgrounds of their classmates and faculty members. Students can also take advantage of the various orientation programmes and activities that are organized by ISB to help them settle in and bond with their peers.
The academic experience at the ISB PGP is one of the most enriching and rewarding aspects of the programme. The academic experience consists of four components: the curriculum, the teaching methodologies, the group projects, and the guest lectures.
Overview of the curriculum and courses offered
The curriculum of the ISB PGP is designed to provide students with a comprehensive and holistic understanding of management concepts and practices. The curriculum consists of two parts: the core courses and the electives. The core courses cover the essential topics in management such as accounting, economics, finance, marketing, operations, strategy, and leadership. The core courses also include a course on responsible leadership that focuses on ethics, sustainability, and social responsibility. The electives allow students to customize their learning according to their interests and career goals. The electives cover a wide range of topics such as analytics, entrepreneurship, innovation, healthcare, public policy, social impact, and digital transformation. The electives also include experiential learning courses such as live projects, simulations, and field visits.
Teaching methodologies and faculty expertise
The teaching methodologies at the ISB PGP are diverse and innovative, aiming to enhance the learning outcomes and engagement of students. The teaching methodologies include lectures, case studies, simulations, projects, quizzes, assignments, and exams. The case studies are one of the most prominent teaching methodologies at ISB, as they expose students to real-world business scenarios and challenges. The case studies are sourced from various sources such as Harvard Business School, Ivey Business School, ISB’s own case development centre, and industry partners. The simulations are another popular teaching methodology that allow students to apply their knowledge and skills in a virtual environment. The simulations are based on various domains such as marketing, finance, operations, strategy, and negotiation.
The faculty at the ISB PGP are highly qualified and experienced in their respective fields. The faculty consist of both resident faculty and visiting faculty from ISB’s partner schools such as Wharton School of Business, Kellogg School of Management, London Business School, MIT Sloan School of Management, and others. The faculty bring their academic expertise and industry insights to the classroom, creating a stimulating and interactive learning environment for students.
Group projects and case study-based learning
The group projects and case study-based learning are integral parts of the academic experience at the ISB PGP. The group projects allow students to work in teams with their classmates on various assignments and tasks related to the courses. The group projects help students to develop their teamwork skills, communication skills, problem-solving skills, and creativity skills. The group projects also enable students to learn from each other’s perspectives and experiences.
The case study-based learning is another important aspect of the academic experience at ISB PGP. The case study-based learning involves analyzing real-life business situations and problems using various frameworks and tools. The case study-based learning helps students to develop their analytical skills, critical thinking skills, decision-making skills, and presentation skills. The case study-based learning also exposes students to diverse industries, markets, cultures, and contexts.
Guest lectures and industry interactions
The guest lectures and industry interactions are another valuable component of the academic experience at ISB PGP. The guest lectures are delivered by eminent speakers from various fields such as business leaders, entrepreneurs, policymakers, academics, authors, artists, and social activists. The guest lectures provide students with insights into various topics such as leadership styles, innovation strategies, industry trends, social issues, and personal stories. The guest lectures also inspire students to pursue their passions and aspirations.
The industry interactions are facilitated by various platforms such as conferences, seminars, workshops, competitions, career fairs, networking events, mentorship programs, alumni sessions
Campus Life at ISB Hyderabad and Infrastructure on campus
The campus life and infrastructure at the ISB PGP are designed to provide students with a comfortable and stimulating learning environment. The campus life and infrastructure consist of four aspects: the campus facilities and resources, the accommodation options and campus amenities, the sports and recreational activities, and the clubs, committees, and student organizations.
Campus facilities and resources
The ISB PGP is offered at two campuses: Hyderabad and Mohali. Both campuses are equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and resources that support the academic and personal needs of students. The campus facilities and resources include:
– Modern classrooms with audio-visual equipment, wireless internet access, and video conferencing facilities
– Well-stocked libraries with access to books, journals, databases, and online resources
– Computer labs with high-speed internet access and software applications
– Learning resource centre with academic support services such as tutoring, writing assistance, and language coaching
– Executive education centre with conference rooms, auditoriums, and breakout rooms
– Case development centre with facilities for case writing, editing, and publishing
Accommodation options and campus amenities
The ISB PGP offers comfortable accommodation options and campus amenities for students. The accommodation options include:
– Single occupancy rooms with attached bathrooms, air-conditioning, internet access, and housekeeping services
– Shared apartments with two or four bedrooms, living room, kitchenette, internet access, and housekeeping services
– Married apartments with one bedroom, living room, kitchenette, internet access, and housekeeping services
The campus amenities include:
– Dining halls with a variety of cuisines and dietary options
– Cafeterias with snacks, beverages, and convenience items
– Convenience stores with groceries, stationery, toiletries, and other essentials
– Health centres with medical staff, pharmacy, ambulance, and tie-ups with nearby hospitals
– ATMs with banking services
– Laundry services with washing machines, dryers, and ironing facilities
Sports and recreational activities
The ISB PGP encourages students to participate in sports and recreational activities to maintain their physical and mental well-being. The sports and recreational activities include:
– Sports facilities such as gymnasiums, swimming pools, squash courts, tennis courts, basketball courts, volleyball courts, cricket grounds, football fields, badminton courts, table tennis tables, chess boards, carrom boards
– Recreational facilities such as yoga centre and meditation centre
– Sports events such as inter-campus tournaments
– Recreational events such as movie nights
Clubs, committees, and student organizations
The ISB PGP fosters a vibrant and diverse campus culture through various clubs, committees,
and student organizations. The clubs, committees, and student organizations include:
– Professional clubs that focus on specific domains such as consulting, finance, marketing, operations, strategy, entrepreneurship, innovation, healthcare, public policy, social impact, and digital transformation
– Social clubs that focus on specific interests such as music,dance,drama, literature, photography, art, cooking, travel, and adventure
– Cultural clubs that celebrate the diversity of cultures such as regional clubs, international clubs, and language clubs
– Committees that manage various aspects of campus life such as academic committee, placement committee, alumni committee, admission committee, and student council
– Student organizations that initiate various initiatives such as social service organization, environmental organization, women’s leadership organization, and LGBTQ+ organization
Life at ISB Hyderabad – Peer Learning and Collaboration
The peer learning and collaboration at the ISB PGP are among the most distinctive and valuable features of the programme. The peer learning and collaboration consist of four aspects: the diverse student body and international exposure, the networking opportunities with classmates and alumni, the collaborative learning environment and teamwork, and the knowledge sharing through informal discussions and events.
Diverse student body and international exposure
The ISB PGP attracts a diverse student body from various industries, functions, backgrounds, cultures, and countries. The class of 2023 comprises of 900 students from 25 states of India and 10 countries across the world. The students have an average work experience of 4.5 years and an average GMAT score of 710. The students also represent a wide range of sectors such as consulting, finance, technology, healthcare, manufacturing, energy, social impact, and others.
The diversity of the student body provides a rich and stimulating learning experience for students. Students get to interact with and learn from peers who have different perspectives, experiences, skills, and interests. Students also get to broaden their horizons and gain international exposure through various platforms such as international exchange programmes, global immersion experiences, collaboration with international universities and business schools, and exposure to global business practices and cultures.
Networking opportunities with classmates and alumni
The ISB PGP offers ample networking opportunities for students to build lasting relationships with their classmates and alumni. The networking opportunities include:
– Orientation programmes and ice-breaking activities that help students to get to know each other and form bonds
– Social events and parties that help students to relax and have fun with their peers
– Career fairs and networking events that help students to connect with potential employers and recruiters
– Alumni sessions and mentorship programmes that help students to learn from the experiences and guidance of senior ISBians
– Alumni chapters and events that help students to stay in touch with their batchmates and alumni network after graduation
Collaborative learning environment and teamwork
The ISB PGP fosters a collaborative learning environment that encourages students to work together on various academic and non-academic activities. The collaborative learning environment includes:
– Group projects that require students to work in teams with their classmates on various assignments and tasks related to the courses
– Case competitions that challenge students to work in teams with their peers from other campuses or other schools on solving real-world business problems
– Student clubs and committees that involve students in working in teams with their peers on organizing various events and initiatives on campus
– Peer feedback sessions that enable students to give and receive constructive feedback from their peers on their performance and improvement areas
Knowledge sharing through informal discussions and events
The ISB PGP facilitates knowledge sharing among students through informal discussions and events that allow students to exchange ideas, insights, opinions, and experiences on various topics. The knowledge sharing platforms include:
– Study groups that allow students to discuss course materials, concepts, doubts, and queries with their peers
– Interest groups that allow students to discuss topics of common interest such as books, movies, music, sports, hobbies, etc.
– Speaker series that allow students to listen to and interact with eminent speakers from various fields such as business leaders, entrepreneurs, policymakers, academics, authors, artists, etc.
– Cultural events and festivals that allow students to celebrate the diversity of cultures on campus
Career Development and Placement Support
The career development and placement support at the ISB PGP are designed to help students achieve their career aspirations and goals. The career development and placement support consist of four aspects: the internship opportunities and summer placements, the career services and guidance, the industry exposure through conferences and seminars, and the alumni network and mentorship programmes.
Internship opportunities and summer placements
The ISB PGP offers internship opportunities and summer placements for students who want to gain practical experience and explore various career options. The internship opportunities and summer placements are facilitated by the Career Advancement Services (CAS) team, who work with various recruiters and industry partners to provide suitable opportunities for students. The internship opportunities and summer placements are available in various sectors such as consulting, finance, technology, healthcare, manufacturing, energy, social impact, and others. The internship opportunities and summer placements are also available in various locations such as India, Singapore, Dubai, London, New York, and others.
The internship opportunities and summer placements help students to apply their learning to real-world situations, develop their skills and competencies, build their network and reputation, and evaluate their fit and interest in different roles and industries.
Career services and guidance
The ISB PGP provides career services and guidance for students who want to plan their career path and prepare for their job search. The career services and guidance are provided by the CAS team, who offer various services such as:
– Career counselling sessions that help students to identify their strengths, interests, values, and goals
– Resume review workshops that help students to craft effective resumes that highlight their achievements and skills
– Mock interview sessions that help students to practice their interview skills and receive feedback from experts
– Company presentations and networking events that help students to connect with potential employers and recruiters
– Placement process that helps students to apply for various job opportunities and secure offers
The career services and guidance help students to make informed career decisions, enhance their employability skills, showcase their potential, and achieve their desired outcomes.
Industry exposure through conferences and seminars
The ISB PGP provides industry exposure through conferences and seminars that allow students to learn about the latest trends, challenges, and opportunities in various domains. The conferences and seminars are organized by various platforms such as:
– Professional clubs that host conferences and seminars on specific domains such as consulting, finance, marketing, operations, strategy, entrepreneurship, innovation, healthcare, public policy, social impact, and digital transformation
– Student organizations that host conferences and seminars on specific topics such as leadership, ethics, sustainability, diversity, and inclusion
– Industry partners that host conferences and seminars on specific sectors such as banking, technology, retail, pharmaceuticals,and others
The industry exposure through conferences and seminars help students to gain insights from industry experts, practitioners, academics, policymakers, entrepreneurs, etc., expand their knowledge base, explore new avenues of learning, and network with relevant stakeholders.
Alumni network and mentorship programmes
The ISB PGP provides access to a strong alumni network of over 13,000 ISBians across the world. The alumni network helps students to benefit from the experience, wisdom, guidance, and support of senior ISBians. The alumni network also helps students to access various opportunities such as referrals, recommendations, collaborations, partnerships, etc. The alumni network is facilitated by various platforms such as:
– Alumni chapters that organize various events and activities for alumni across different cities and countries
– Alumni sessions that invite alumni to share their stories and insights with current students
– Alumni mentorship programmes that match alumni mentors with student mentees based on their career interests and goals
– The alumni network and mentorship programmes help students to learn from the best practices and success stories of ISBians develop their professional and personal skills build lasting relationships hand leverage the power of the ISB community.
Leadership and Personal Development
The ISB PGP provides various opportunities for students to develop their leadership and personal skills that are essential for their professional and personal growth. The leadership and personal development consist of four aspects: the leadership development programmes, the soft skills workshops and personality development, the entrepreneurship and innovation initiatives, and the personal growth and self-reflection.
Leadership development programmes
The ISB PGP offers leadership development programmes that aim to enhance the leadership potential and capabilities of students. The leadership development programmes include:
– LEAD programme that is a three-day orientation programme that helps students to identify their strengths and areas of improvement, set their goals and action plans, and develop their personal leadership style
– Responsible Leadership course that is a core course that focuses on ethics, sustainability, and social responsibility, and helps students to develop their moral reasoning, ethical decision-making, and stakeholder management skills
– Leadership Development Programme (LDP) that is an elective course that provides students with experiential learning opportunities such as simulations, role plays, feedback sessions, coaching sessions, and mentoring sessions to develop their leadership competencies such as self-awareness, emotional intelligence, communication, influence, conflict resolution, team building, etc.
Soft skills workshops and personality development
The ISB PGP provides soft skills workshops and personality development sessions that help students to improve their communication, presentation, negotiation, networking, and interpersonal skills. The soft skills workshops and personality development sessions include:
– Communication skills workshops that help students to enhance their verbal and written communication skills, such as clarity, conciseness, coherence, persuasion, etc.
– Presentation skills workshops that help students to improve their presentation skills, such as structure, content, delivery, body language, etc.
– Negotiation skills workshops that help students to learn the principles and techniques of effective negotiation, such as preparation, strategy, tactics, bargaining, etc.
– Networking skills workshops that help students to learn how to build and maintain professional relationships with various stakeholders such as peers, faculty, recruiters, alumni, etc.
– Interpersonal skills workshops that help students to develop their emotional intelligence, empathy, trust, collaboration, etc.
Entrepreneurship and innovation initiatives
The ISB PGP supports entrepreneurship and innovation initiatives that encourage students to pursue their entrepreneurial aspirations and foster a culture of innovation on campus. The entrepreneurship and innovation initiatives include:
– Entrepreneurship Development Initiative (EDI) that is an elective course that provides students with theoretical knowledge and practical guidance on various aspects of entrepreneurship such as opportunity identification, business model validation, funding, scaling, etc.
– ISB Biocon Cell for Innovation Management (IBCI) that is a centre of excellence that promotes innovation in life sciences and healthcare sectors by providing research, education, and consulting services
– DLabs that is an incubation centre that supports early-stage startups by providing mentorship, funding, networking, and infrastructure support
– iDiya that is a national-level social venture competition that invites innovative ideas for social impact from students, professionals, and entrepreneurs
– E-summit that is an annual flagship event that brings together entrepreneurs,investors, mentors, and experts from various domains to share their insights and experiences
Personal growth and self-reflection
The ISB PGP facilitates personal growth and self-reflection for students who want to explore their passions and aspirations and discover their true potential. The personal growth and self-reflection include:
– Career counselling sessions that help students to identify their career interests and goals and plan their career path accordingly
– Coaching sessions that help students to overcome their challenges and achieve their objectives by providing them with feedback and guidance
– Mentoring sessions that help students to learn from the experiences and wisdom of senior ISBians who provide them with support and advice
– Self-assessment tools that help students to evaluate their personality traits and preferences such as MBTI, DISC, StrengthsFinder, etc.
– Self-development activities that help students to pursue their hobbies and interests such as yoga, meditation, spa, reading, writing,etc.
The ISB PGP provides various global opportunities for students who want to expand their horizons and gain exposure to different cultures and business environments. The global opportunities consist of four aspects: the international exchange programmes, the global immersion experiences, the collaboration with international universities and business schools, and the exposure to global business practices and cultures.
International exchange programmes
The ISB PGP offers international exchange programmes that allow students to spend a term at one of the partner schools across the world. The partner schools include some of the top-ranked business schools such as Wharton School of Business, Kellogg School of Management, London Business School, MIT Sloan School of Management, and others. The international exchange programmes enable students to experience a different academic system, learn from diverse faculty and peers, access new resources and facilities, and explore new destinations.
Global immersion experiences
The ISB PGP also offers global immersion experiences that allow students to visit various countries and regions for a short duration. The global immersion experiences include:
– International treks that are student-led trips to various countries and regions such as Europe, USA, China, Japan, Singapore, etc., where students get to interact with local businesses, government officials, cultural leaders, and alumni
– Global study tours that are faculty-led trips to various countries and regions such as Israel, South Africa, Brazil, etc., where students get to learn about specific topics such as innovation, entrepreneurship, social impact, etc.
– Global field projects that are experiential learning projects where students work in teams with local organizations on solving real-world business problems
Collaboration with international universities and business schools
The ISB PGP also collaborates with various international universities and business schools on various academic and research initiatives. The collaboration with international universities and business schools include:
– Joint degree programmes that allow students to earn a dual degree from ISB and one of the partner schools such as Wharton School of Business, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, etc.
– Joint research projects that involve faculty and students from ISB and partner schools working together on various topics such as digital transformation, healthcare management, public policy, etc.
– Joint events and activities that involve faculty and students from ISB and partner schools participating in various conferences, seminars, workshops, competitions, etc.
Exposure to global business practices and cultures
The ISB PGP also provides exposure to global business practices and cultures through various platforms such as:
– Guest lectures that invite speakers from various countries and sectors to share their insights and perspectives on various topics such as leadership styles, innovation strategies, industry trends, social issues, and personal stories
– Case studies that expose students to real-world business scenarios and challenges in different markets, industries, and contexts
– Alumni network that connects students with alumni from different countries
and sectors who provide them with support, advice, referrals, and opportunities
Life Beyond Academics
The ISB PGP also offers various opportunities for students to enjoy life beyond academics and have fun with their peers. The life beyond academics consist of four aspects: the cultural events and festivals on campus, the community service and social initiatives, the recreational trips and outings, and the work-life balance and self-care.
Cultural events and festivals on campus
The ISB PGP celebrates the diversity of cultures on campus by organizing various cultural events and festivals throughout the year. The cultural events and festivals include:
– Bandhan that is the welcome event for the incoming batch where students showcase their talents and perform various cultural acts
– Solstice that is the annual alumni reunion event where students and alumni mingle and enjoy various performances by celebrities and artists
– Equinox that is the annual inter-campus event where students from both campuses compete in various sports, cultural, and academic activities
– ISB Super League (ISL) that is the annual intra-campus event where students form teams based on their interests and compete in various sports, cultural, and academic activities
– ISB Premier League (IPL) that is the annual cricket tournament where students form teams based on their regions and compete for the coveted trophy
– Cultural nights that are themed events where students dress up and celebrate various festivals such as Diwali, Holi, Christmas, etc.
Community service and social initiatives
The ISB PGP also encourages students to contribute to the society and make a positive impact through various community service and social initiatives. The community service and social initiatives include:
– Net Impact Club that is a student club that organizes various events and activities related to social impact such as blood donation camps, clothes donation drives, tree plantation drives, etc.
– Social Venture Partners (SVP) Hyderabad that is a network of philanthropists who support various social enterprises and non-profit organizations in Hyderabad
– Prerna that is a student initiative that provides education and mentorship to underprivileged children from nearby villages
– iDiya that is a national-level social venture competition that invites innovative ideas for social impact from students, professionals, and entrepreneurs
Recreational trips and outings
The ISB PGP also provides recreational trips and outings for students who want to relax and have fun with their peers. The recreational trips and outings include:
– International treks that are student-led trips to various countries and regions such as Europe, USA, China, Japan, Singapore, etc., where students get to explore new destinations and cultures
– Domestic trips that are student-led trips to various cities and states in India such as Goa, Kerala, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, etc., where students get to enjoy the scenic beauty and local cuisine
– Weekend getaways that are short trips to nearby places such as resorts, amusement parks, historical monuments, etc., where students get to unwind and rejuvenate
Work-life balance and self-care
The ISB PGP also promotes work-life balance and self-care for students who want to maintain their physical and mental well-being. The work-life balance and self-care include:
– Yoga centre that offers yoga classes for students who want to practice yoga and meditation
– Meditation centre that offers meditation sessions for students who want to calm their mind and relax their body
– Spa centre that offers spa services for students who want to pamper themselves with massages, facials, manicures, etc.
– Reading room that offers a quiet space for students who want to read books or magazines
– Writing club that offers a platform for students who want to express themselves through writing poems, stories, blogs, etc.
The ISB PGP is a one-year transformational journey that prepares students for the dynamic and competitive world of business. The ISB PGP offers a holistic and comprehensive learning experience that covers various aspects such as academic excellence, global exposure, leadership development, career advancement, peer learning, campus life, and personal growth. The ISB PGP also provides a vibrant and diverse community of students, faculty, alumni, and industry partners who support and inspire each other to achieve their goals and aspirations. The ISB PGP is more than just a management programme; it is a life-changing experience that shapes the future leaders of tomorrow.